The annual Top Track 250 ranks the biggest mid-market growth firms in Britain based on sales, using data from Bureau van Dijk's Fame database. The Top Track 250 complements the Top Track 100 listing of Britain's biggest companies—also supported by data from Fame.
This year's Top Track 250 companies have collectively set a new record, with total profits up 27% to £6.4 billion, and sales up 18% to £66.7 billion.
The top-5 companies listed in the Top Track 250 are:
- The Watches of Switzerland Group, based in Leicester
- Daisy Group, a communications services provider based in Lancashire
- esure, a Reigate-based insurance provider
- Miller Homes, an Edinburgh-based construction company
- BGL Group, an insurance company based in Peterborough
Companies in the top-20 also include Holland & Barrett, Travelodge, Betfred and Virgin Active.
To qualify for the Top Track 250, candidates must have:
- been registered in the UK and be independent, unquoted and ultimate holding companies
- sales less than £700 million, excluding shares from joint ventures
- operating profit margins that exceed 2%
- a growth in annual sales of 5% or more for companies with the highest sales, 10% for companies with lower sales, or a profit growth of 5% or more
The Top Track 250 identified the companies on its list with help from Fame, which covers over 11 million companies within the UK and Ireland. This database features information on individuals including directors, shareholders and department heads. Companies are searchable by criteria including size, industry and location.